Present: Scott Berry, Ron Bennett, Cindy Maddox, Elinor Redmond, Dana Wiggins, Otis Thompson, Tim Proctor, Betsy Keiter, Tom Hamerski, Sue Stevens, Mary Anne Wallace. Bret and Faith from Family Promise also attended.
Absent: John Howard, Karen Westerberg
Scott called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. Otis presented the opening thoughts. Minutes of the August 25th Council meeting were approved, as amended. (Amendments involved the month of last meeting changing from May to August and the donation for the Memorial Plaque from $500 to $1,000.00.)
Financial Update: There was no financial update.
Family Promise: A concern from the August meeting was how often the church serves as host. Cindy reported that the frequency is set by the congregation but the goal is 4 times a year. Bret and Faith explained how the program is designed to work.:
- Family Promise is looking to have 13 churches signed up by October 23. If not enough churches are signed up, then Family Promise will postpone the beginning of the program.
- Each church will host four times a year.
- Flexibility in hosting will be part of the program, i.e., if a church is unable to host, another organization will be found by Family Promise.
- Family Promise will be located at the YMCA.
- Work is being done to secure a 15-passenger van for the program.
- There will be Monthly Coordinator Meetings to deal with issues.
- Hosting fits with churches as to insurance, zoning, etc.
- Volunteers can come from other organizations as well as churches.
- Volunteers share food, provide programs. Parents take care of children.
- Call on Family Promise for help with maintenance issues.
- Family Promise is the first level to deal with issues and concerns.
- This is a transitional program for hosted families. Longest stay by a family will be 60 days.
It was moved by Mary Anne Wallace and seconded by Betsy Keiter, for the Church to enter into Covenant with Family Promise. The vote to approve was unanimous.
Bethany Church Historical Records: Two volumes of records from the Bethany Congregational Church (a church located in Ferry Village that started with members from our church who could not get up the hill to First Congregational Church in the winter) are currently located in in our Church Records. Mary Anne Wallace (Church Historian) asked if we should give these records to the Maine Historical Society, who has other Bethany Church records in their collection presently. After a brief discussion, it was moved by consensus to give the two old volumes to the Maine Historical Society. Mary Anne will take care of the paperwork to make this happen.
Team Visit Sign-ups: It is the responsibility of the Church Council to meet with teams throughout the year. Scott passed around a sign-up sheet for Council members to indicate which team they would like to visit this year.
Stewardship for 2016-2017: Stewardship is the responsibility of the Church Council. Last year a subcommittee of the Council met separately to complete the Stewardship Program for 2015-2016. It was agreed to use the same process this year. The following are the members of the Council who volunteered to be members of the Stewardship Committee for 2016-2017: Mary Anne Wallace, Elinor Redmond, Ron Bennett, Scott Berry, Cindy Maddox and Peggy Murray (former member of the Council whose term ended last May). The first meeting was set for September 21 at 10:00 a.m. Consecration Sunday will be on November 13.
Pastor’s Moment: Cindy shared that the last week, based on current political events, had been very difficult for many members of the Church. She also shared that there will be a special event on Sunday, September 18, in Guptill Hall following the 10:00 a.m. service where groups and committees performing special tasks or activities (e.g., Eskimos, Hilltop Guild, Mission Team, etc.) could interact with members of the congregation and answer questions and hopefully, sign up new members for the coming year.
Our next meeting is scheduled for October 20, 2016 at 7:00 p.m. Elinor Redmond will be the recorder and open the meeting.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 p.m..