The Discovery Center is a certified and accredited weekday preschool for children ages 2 1/2 to 5 years. Since 1998 it has been a ministry of the First Congregational Church, open to all children without regard to church affiliation. Established as a nonprofit preschool, the school endeavors to keep tuition affordable (less than many private nursery schools in the area). Scholarships are available, as well as reduced tuition for siblings, and families in need. The Discovery Center serves as a loving and nurturing start to school.
The mission of the Discovery Center is to provide a preschool program that will nurture a child’s individuality, creativity, and spirituality. A monthly theme-based curriculum paired with child-centered, hands-on learning experiences and a supportive environment serves to develop confident, creative and compassionate thinkers and doers.
All families are welcome. A bulk of our children are from the communities of South Portland, Cape Elizabeth, Scarborough and Portland. Students of the school reflect the diversity of our surrounding neighborhoods.
Depending on enrollment and class size, the following programs are offered:
- Two day morning program Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9-11:30 a.m. for 2 1/2+ year olds.
- Three day morning program Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 9-12:00 p.m. for 3 1/2+ year olds.
- Four day PreK morning program Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 9-12:30 p.m. This program is loosely based on a kindergarten classroom.
The school provides a loving and nurturing environment for young ones entering into their first school experience. The teachers focus on socialization and developmentally appropriate readiness skills.
Within the classroom, emphasis is placed on learning to love our neighbor, treating one another with kindness and understanding, and fostering consideration and caring for our world.
- Click here for information about our exciting Discovery Center Traditions
- Click here for more information about our Classes and Tuition
Director of the Discovery Center Kathy Jones