In 2010, we engaged in a series of conversations with parents and youth to shape the Confirmation program in years to come. This conversation articulated several elements that are central to our understanding of Confirmation, including:
- We are all on a journey. Confirmation is an opportunity for each youth to choose his/her own spiritual path.
- To engage in conversations about faith, we need to be mature enough to talk about hard things without being mean or disrespectful.
- We all need mentors. Confirmation should be an opportunity where youth seek to grow in an adult friendship with someone in the church.
- Our faith is reflected in our commitment to mission, service and action. Confirmation should be an opportunity to explore this experience.
- No one has enough time. Our youth are feeling the same stretch that older members in our church are feeling in their varied commitments.
With these beliefs in mind, we offer Confirmation class every other year for current 8th and 9th graders, as well as any older teens in need of the class. This is a six-month process which includes class meetings, service opportunities, leading worship, and other activities created to fit the needs and interests of each particular class. Our youth will be enriched by these conversations and planning so that we can welcome them into the journey of our life together.